Saturday, November 04, 2006

An American Psycho hobby




As of two days ago I didnt realized that I have something in common with a killer. A derange passionate obsession with one of modern classic fictional character during the decadent of the 80s, Patrick Bateman from the American Psycho. As I was congratulating my good friend Steve on his insurance license, some how the tides of the rampant nonsense conversation were directed to the topic of business card. Yes I must confess that Ive read and seen American Psycho many times before not that I have a delight rampage of disemboweling some random call girls, however I always have an unexplainable obsession with business card. It is rather a chronic impulse for me to actually like accepting other people business card, trying to analyze the personality of the card owner through his tangible medium of ones business representation. You know if you look carefully enough you can tell a lot from a person with his business card, the material of paper and the design is the most paramount criteria. For me I rather toss you card to trash and keep your e-mail or phone number if I dont fancy them at first sight. After the ramblings, Steve interrupted to me into an utter halt "You know Patrick Bateman got a same obsession as you are, you know?" sipping his Martini nonchalantly. "What do you mean man I know you guys always making fun of me about having Asian slaves in my old apartment, you know I hate hooks in general but I would never want to hack them with a chainsaw". I replied with a bit curiosity for an intelligent response which can be a difficult task from my drunken friend sometime. "Well Kirk you do have a compulsive disorder when it comes to business card and so was Patrick Bateman ."That feedback got be stutter for a good minute from my drink.

I guess I do share a minute similar trait with Mr. Bateman, I mean after all I really dont mind if Im going to be a delusional serial killer having a great taste in Armani power suit and fine minimalist décor high rise condo. Sure it must be great to hack down deals everyday no pun intended. So I ponder that if Patrick Bateman ever has a small time hobby. Hey most regular people at least enjoying great fun having a pet hamster or a virtual kitten screen saver as a distraction. So I went into a little digging and found an article that both Mr. Bateman and I can really enjoy assembling. So are you interested in growing skin? You are not alone. Interested in artificially growing human tissue? Then you are in the right place! Many might ask what to do with your living skin? There are endless things to do with skin-do you want to make it glow in the dark? Do you want it to talk directly to your computer by interfacing it with silicon? Of course you do! Or may be if youre bored enough you can make it into a book cover just like the Nazi used to make for a favorite pastime during World War II without the killing of course which is always a plus..



Skin Culture Biotech Hobbyist Starter Kit

It is time to wrest tissue culture from the privileged hegemony of the lab and relocate it to your kitchen. The recipe for cultivating tissue culture is simple, but just like a Tamagotchi it takes a bit of tending. The game is to see how long you can keep your culture alive.

In order to grow skin you need three essential ingredients:


1. A Cell Line (preferably immortal)

o Cambrex--Human endothelial cells

o American Type Culture Collection-cell line catalog

2. Growth Medium

o Cambrex--Endothelial cell medium

o Clonetics--Endothelial cell medium

3. A Body Temperature Growth Environment

o Economy Incubator--$325.85

o KwikCulture Incubator--$80.00

o Brinsea Avian Incubator--$93.50

o Hova-Bator Incubator--$59.50

o Incubators Value Line

o www.scientific-surplus.com often has cheap used incubators for sale

The Biotech Hobbyist SK-A1 Starter Skin kit includes a cell line and growth medium (and lots of other good stuff too), but the last item is up to you. You have a few options: you can keep the culture on you-your body is (not-so-) coincidentally the perfect temperature for growing human tissue. There are also a few home incubator kits that you can use. One kit adapts the waste heat from the back of your refrigerator, another repurposes your oven. At pet supply stores you can buy a whole range of inexpensive precision control incubators, brooders, hatcheries and other heating elements designed to keep living things warm.

For more info on any other Biotech in your garage visit Biotech Hobbyist Magazine

No comments: