Monday, March 20, 2006

V for Very Weak


There I said it last tonight it was such a splendid experience for my small sushi lobster ass. IMAX theatre has been around since before I can grab a drink at bar yet I never had the pleasure to enjoy for some unknown reason, last night I finally disoriented myself with its splendid glory. Anyway my friend got me to see V for Vendetta at the IMAX nearby, it was worth the time despite it has been raining nothing but a whole farm of cats and dogs for the past two days. The sights of the gigantic 5 story screen and the monstrous sound system gave me quite a bit of nausea for a good old five minutes until I later got accustom to the "IMAX" experience.

Well I'm not here to babble about how great the theatre actually after watching V for Vendetta at its entirely got me pondering on several fronts, of course the political conundrum of an anarchist versus an order of the contemporary society. The philosophical aspect of the movie, Wachowsky brothers had never failed when they want to send out a satirical message to the masses. However it was the artistic aspect of the movie itself that was a greatly disappointing. Here you were promise an uncompromising view of the future, yet throughout the movie I felt that I've been trap into this box call The Matrix all over again. Despite a refreshing view of having an insane masked protagonist V who throughout the movie never reveal his identity. However I had been robbed from this refreshing perception due to the fact that Hugo Weaving delivered his utmost platinum caliber by being Agent Smith without the power suit and the hip sunglasses. If you get Agent Smith and traded his Armani suit into a wig and masked of the crazed terrorist Guy Fowke, you would end up having the same character. V spent most of the movie explaining his methods to the madness justifying the doing to balance the inequalities of the citizens with his own variable of consequences. Was not this mathematical of human behaviors had been thoroughly been explore in the Matrix trilogy? To me it was almost like watching Agent Smith attempting to explain political science in the dessert of the future dystopia. Also the underlying leather clad fetish was briefly made an appearance as the homage to one of the Wachowskis accompanying with a techo trance musical at the ending credit just like the Matrix.

In the Matrix however, it served a purpose of an illusion of the world one trying to escape through a various simulacrums, yet for V I really didn't see the point of its purpose. The climatic scene of the movie had to deal with the rights of two female lovers were stripped away by the religious totalitarian state. Love would conquer all is a very well defined concept that everyone should embrace, but I was repulsed by the fact that the brothers exploited homosexuality by giving the viewers an unnecessary gluttonous act of being "out" in the open. Yes uncompromising view needs a drastic measure despite any anticipation from the mob, having the whole crowd shocked by a makeout scene that is a cheap way of being controversial.

To me the content of the movie was very well exemplary comparable to what is out at the cinema right now this week. It is a very well thought out story when it comes with an ever struggle of human existence and the intoxicating power of government. It forces everyone to think and question their lives as a citizen of a system, merely exist to serve a system, be it for territorial rights or faiths. Ultimately it is the power of ideas that would make a world for better or worse, I guess that's why we got the concept of marriage.

No comments: